Creamy Italian Dressing

I have a serious thing for salad. It is the perfect side dish to any meal. Salad goes with everything. It all depends on the type of greens, toppings, and dressing used. And I'm trying to steer away from bottled dressings. Along with all those preservatives that go in them.Which means I'm trying more and more homemade dressings. I've already found a blue cheese dressing that I love and a quick, fresh vinaigrette. And I've come across a couple recipes that I definitely care to not repeat anytime soon.

But this recipe I happened upon almost by accident. I was trying out a recipe for a copycat Olive Garden salad dressing. And it didn't even come close, not once, but twice. The first time it turned out waaaaay too oily. So I subbed Greek yogurt for the mayonnaise which made for a creamier dressing. So, I was already off the mark for the Olive Garden dressing, but felt that what I had was missing something. So, I scrounged around in my fridge and came out with a shallot and half a red bell pepper. I chopped those up fine and added them to the dressing. The results? A light, yet tangy creamy Italian dressing

Creamy Italian Dressing

1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
1 tsp olive oil
1 Tbsp honey
3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
3 Tbsp Romano cheese, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
2 Tbsp red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 Tbsp shallot, finely chopped

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Serve with your favorite green salad.

Source: Adapted from Mommy Savers

Comments