Iceberg Salad with Herb Blue Cheese Dressing


Adam and I have vastly differing opinions when it comes to salad. He prefers his salad on the plain jane side. Minimal dressing. Barely any toppings. And keep the dressing standard. Ranch or Honey Mustard. I, however, love my salad loaded. Piled high with toppings, covered in yummy dressing. And I'm not too particular about my dressing. I like Ranch, Honey Mustard, Vinaigrettes, and of course any dressing that has cheese in it. My only salad request?? Nothing too sweet.

So, I would love to say that when I made this salad, Adam and I both loved it. But that would be a lie. And it wouldn't be right to lie to you about that. So, instead I will tell you that I loved it, and so did Adam's parents, but not Adam. In fact he didn't even try any (usually he's really good about trying a little bit of everything I make). Adam instead had some plain greens with a little bit of honey mustard dressing, while the rest of us dined on this amazing salad. You could make this with any greens you like, but the crispness of the iceberg cuts through the heavier side of the dressing, giving a great balance to the whole dish. Toss in some juicy tomatoes and salty bacon?? Divine. And easy. Incredibly easy. And you can make it for two or assemble a whole platter for a large crowd.

Iceberg Salad with Herb Blue Cheese Dressing (For 4 servings)

Salad:

1 head iceberg lettuce
8-10 cherry or grape tomatoes
4 slices of bacon, cooked until crispy and crumbled
1 Tbsp blue cheese, crumbled

Dressing:

1/2 cup greek yogurt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp white wine vinegar
3 tsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
1/4 cup green onion, coarsely chopped (I used 3 small green onions)
2 Tbsp Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
3 Tbsp Blue cheese, crumbled
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste

For the salad:
Remove the couple of outer leaves of the iceberg lettuce as they usually are a bit unappealing. Cut the stem off the bottom of the head and set is cut side down. Cut lettuce into 2-inch slices. For 4 people I used 1/2 the head of lettuce. Lay on plate or platter. Quarter the tomatoes and sprinkle on top of lettuce. Drizzle lettuce with desired amount of dressing (there will be leftover dressing, which I served on the side in case someone wanted extra). Top with bacon and blue cheese crumbles. Serve.

For the dressing:
Add everything together in a medium bowl and mix well. Let sit for at least 30 minutes before serving.

Source: Adapted from Coupon Clipping Cook


Comments