Ranch Dressing and Dip

In an attempt to reduce to amount of processed food we consume, I've looked in our fridge and pantry to determine what things we eat the most that I don't already make at home. Out of all the salad dressings we have in our house, whether they are homemade or not, the top three are Wishbone Italian (not sure I'll ever get away from that one), Ranch, and Honey Mustard. Definite staples.

So far, I've tackled seasonings and sauces, other dressings, and even tortillas, which were a huge hit. So big in fact that when I make them I can't keep them in the house for more than a couple days. And recently I made applesauce. Now? I have eliminated the plastic bottle of ranch dressing that resides in our refrigerator door. I've swapped the yellowy, speckled, bitter dressing with a creamy, tangy, herb filled delight. Just so you know, I LOVE ranch...a specific kind that comes from a valley far away...and let me tell you that I never realized what I was missing until I compared the homemade to that from the valley. OHMYGOODNESS. Do you know what I was missing?? Freshness. Fresh. Ness. It really does make a difference. And it's because of that difference that I will probably never purchase another bottle from the valley again.

Ranch Dressing and Dip

1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 Tbsp olive oil
Juice from one lemon
1 Tbsp chives, chopped
2 Tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh dill, finely chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried dill works too)
1 clove garlic, finely minced (I like to use my Microplane)
3/4 tsp celery salt
Dash of red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (overnight works best for me). Serve alongside a salad or fried chicken strips. Or place on a platter with your favorite veggies.

Source: Adapted from The Curvy Carrot

Comments