Roasted Potatoes with Pearl Onions and Bacon

 
I love potatoes. I could eat them everyday. And I'm getting better with bacon. Remember? Getting outside my box on that one. Pushing my bacon limits. For the most part it hasn't been too bad. Although still not gonna order up a fresh side of it with breakfast. Still taking baby steps. Baby steps.  
 
But potatoes. I could eat those in leaps and bounds. No baby steps needed there. I love them every way possible. Almost. There are a couple exceptions, but for the most part if they're served I will eat them. Sliced. Fried. Mashed. Baked. With butter, cheese, and sour cream. Diced. With fried eggs. Tots or fries. With ketchup or ranch. In a casserole. In a hash. Roasted. They are so delicious! Funny thing is, I married a man who doesn't really care for potatoes. WHAT?!??! It's ok. Really. As unfathomable as it is, I have come to accept it. And him. I mean, I knew this about him when I married him. And I love him, even if he doesn't really like potatoes. Or cheese (that's a whole 'nother nut). Plus, it just means more for me, right? Yup, 'cause I NEED more potatoes.
  

Roasted Potatoes with Pearl Onion and Bacon 

24 small white pearl onions 
2 lbs small potatoes (red, Yukon gold), cut into bite-sized pieces 
1/4 cup olive oil 
4-6 strips of thick sliced bacon (I used pepper bacon, but plain would also be fine), diced 
1 shallot, minced 
3-4 cloves garlic, minced 
2 Tbsp dry sherry 
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar 
1 Tbsp fresh thyme salt and pepper 

Preheat oven to 400˚ F. Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add pearl onions to boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Drain and place in a bowl of ice water (also known as an ice bath. This stops the cooking process because you don't want mushy onions later down the line). When onions are fully cooled, remove papery out skins and cut off the root and stem ends. 

In a large glass bowl, toss potatoes with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Pour onto a large baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Add in pearl onion, tossing to coat with olive oil on the baking sheet. Return to oven and bake for and additional 30 minutes. Transfer warm potatoes and onions to large bowl (the one used to toss with oil is perfect). 

In a saute pan, cook bacon until edges begin to crisp. Add in shallots and garlic and cook until bacon is completely crispy and onion is translucent. Add in sherry, vinegar and remaining olive oil (2 tablespoons). Remove from heat. Pour over potatoes and onions in the bowl. Add in thyme, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat. Serve. 

Source: Adapted from A Communal Table 

Comments

  1. So is that really supposed to be a Tablespoon of pepper and thyme? Cause this seemed WAY over-seasoned. I would do it next time with a teaspoon of each instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thyme is supposed to be 1 Tbsp because it is fresh. If using dried thyme, 1 tsp should be more than enough. Unfortunately the salt and pepper are supposed to be on their own line and I always use salt and pepper to taste. Sorry for the confusion.

      Delete

Post a Comment