Rodeo Burgers

Don 't you just love cleaning out your fridge?? I know it's the highlight of my week. NOT. But it is necessary. Unfortunately. Must make way for fresh groceries and a new week's worth of leftovers. And it's usually a good time to take inventory of what's left. You know. Before you go to the store. When I do fridge detox at our house, there isn't usually too much left in the fridge. The most recent leftovers (if there are any), a gallon of milk, an open bottle of wine, the typical condiments, blocks of various cheeses, and the little bits of produce that haven't gone completely downhill.

After completing fridge clean out and inventory, I then begin to menu plan and formulate a grocery list. Call me crazy, but  I have this thing where I don't like things to go to waste.... So most recently when planning a trip to the grocery store I noted that I still had half a jar of homemade BBQ sauce. Although I loved this recipe and will make it again and again every time I need BBQ sauce, BBQ sauce isn't an ingredient I really cook with too often.

So, I racked my brain thinking of ways I could use it. Since summer is knocking on our doorstep, Adam has been craving burgers. Hardcore (and by the end of summer he has usually had his fill). So, I already had burgers scheduled on the upcoming menu. Of course it just seemed logical to kill two birds with one stone. And somehow Adam missed out on the crispy onions I made for the Steakhouse burger, so those were a must for this next round of burgers. Add in some melty cheese and crunchy bacon. YUM.  As for the leftover BBQ sauce?? Gone. One less thing for me to clean out of the fridge at the end of the week.

Rodeo Burgers

2 lbs extra lean ground beef
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp season salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3/4 cup BBQ sauce, divided
8 slices cheddar cheese (regular is fine, but smoked or sharp would be awesome)
16 slices thick cut bacon, cooked until crispy
1 cup crispy onion rings
Hamburger buns
Mayonnaise
Ketchup
Mustard
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Pickles

Preheat grill to medium-high heat. In a large mixing bowl, add beef, garlic, season salt, and pepper. Mix well and divide into 8 (1/4 lb) balls. Flatten with your hands (or a burger press) into patties. Place patties on preheated grill and cook on one side for 5 minutes*. Baste exposed side of burger patties with 1/4 cup BBQ sauce. Flip patties and cook for 3 minutes more*. Baste exposed side of burger patties with 1/4 cup BBQ sauce. Remove from grill. Prepare hamburger bun with ketchup, mayonnaise or mustard. Place burger patty on the bottom side of the bun. Top with 2 tsp BBQ sauce, 1 slice of cheddar cheese, 2 slices cooked bacon, and a few crispy onion rings. Add on any other burger toppings of your choice.


*This cooking time yields a slightly pink burger. If you prefer your meat rarer or more well done, please adjust cooking time accordingly. Also, every grill is different, so it may take some trial and error to find the cooking time that produces a burger cooked to your perfection.


Source: Elizabeth original

Comments