Oatmeal Lemon Cream Cookie Bars

I have this thing for bar cookies and desserts. I can't help it. It's just like me and casseroles or crock pot recipes. I love me a one pot dish. I'm not a babysitter for anyone. Including my food. Most of the time. Because I really do like to make cookies and other more "high maintenance" dishes that are a bit more time consuming. The problem is really the time part. And since bar cookies last the same amount of time in my house as regular cookies, I usually opt for the less time consuming version. Which is why every other dessert recipe on here is in bar form.

Now, I know I've mentioned in the past that I don't personally eat a lot of sweets. Unless they involve chocolate, peanut butter, or caramel. And that's mostly the kind of desserts I've posted (and I only maybe have a lifetime more of those to share with you). Sooo, it's high time I shared something that has a different flavor palette. And since it's spring, I thought it only fitting to share something lemony. Creamy and lemony. And this is like creamy lemon bars sandwiched between oatmeal cookies, without the raisins.

Oatmeal Lemon Cream Cookie Bars

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups oats
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 lemons, juiced and zested

Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Grease an 8x8 baking dish. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars. Add in egg and vanilla. In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt, and oats. Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, incorporating well. Press half of the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes.
While bottom crust is baking, in a small bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice and 1 Tbsp lemon zest (If your lemons didn't yield enough zest, don't worry, they will still be plenty lemony). Pour over the top of the crust. Crumble remaining dough evenly on top of the lemon cream layer. Bake for another 25-30 minutes. Top crust should be slightly golden brown. Allow to cool slightly and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before cutting and serving.


*Have extra lemon zest?? Sprinkle it on top of chicken or salmon with a little salt, pepper, and olive oil before cooking for a quick and flavorful meal.

Source: Adapted from Just Call Me Maria

Comments