Chocolate Chip Cookies Bars


This year for Valentine's Day I got Adam underwear. Not the frilly-let-me-wear-this-for-you kind. The functional kind. I'm talking Hanes. Cotton boxer briefs. Nothing says love more than a pair (or 12) of underwear that has a firm elastic waistband and zero raggedy holes. I love you, honey :)

Although I think his new unders are a darn good gift, I'm really not that heartless. So I will supplement my love with sugar. My man can't say no to sugar. At least certain kinds. He loves him his Ho-Ho's, Oreos, PB Twix Bars, Half-Baked Ben and Jerry's, and gummies. LOVES. There's also a handful of sugary concoctions that I make that he also enjoys. Like the Chocolate Chocolate Brownies. And these. Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp milk
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup+ semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Grease a square 9x9 baking dish. In a large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Add in egg, vanilla, and milk. Mix until well combined. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix well. Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips. Spread into prepared baking dish in an even layer. Sprinkle with additional chocolate chips. Bake for 25-35 minutes. Center should be a light golden brown and the edges should be slightly darker. Cool for a few hours before cutting.

Source: Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens (Vintage Homemade Cookies Cook Book from 1975)

Comments