Caprese Salad Skewers

I had a request, here on the blog, for some appetizers that would be appropriate for a group picnic. Luckily, I already had a couple appetizers in the works, like the proscuitto-avo apps from yesterday.

And for the record, Adam really hates it when I don't use an entire word. Like avo or apps. And I use the word whatev a lot too. I know I picked it up from my sister. I used it a couple of times, and well, Adam told me of his dislike for that kind of speech, soooo of course, being the loving and devoted wife I am, I continued it. And now, I wouldn't say I use these abbreviated words very often, just usually in his presence. And since I know he periodically reads the blog, I've used them today. Just. For. Him. :)

Anyways, enough of that. Back to the appetizers. I love cheese. I may have said that before. But I have absolutely no problem stating it again. And when the farmer's market (or your own garden, if you have one, which I am totally jealous of) is bursting with fresh produce like sweet tomatoes and fragrant basil, it only makes sense to use them in caprese salad. I'll eat caprese salad pretty much any way it's served.

Usually larger tomatoes and balls of fresh mozzarella are thickly sliced, fanned, and layered on a plate or platter, with fresh basil leaves inserted in between the layers or finely chopped and sprinkled on top. Followed by a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and olive oil, with fresh ground black pepper. I've also seen it prepared in vertical stacks or hasselback style. But in terms of a larger group setting, skewers come in quite handy. And are super quick to throw together. You can make larger skewers using 6" bamboo skewers or small ones using toothpicks. Depends on how you want it displayed. This recipe is also easily adapted for small groups and large ones. I would recommend 2 skewers per person.

Caprese Salad Skewers

12 6" bamboo skewers (or 24 round toothpicks)
24 cherry tomatoes, halved
24 small balls of fresh mozzarella (sometimes called boconccini and are approximately 1" in diameter)
24 medium-sized basil leaves (you want them large enough to cover half of the mozzarella ball)
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (white balsamic vinegar would also work well)
Salt and fresh ground black pepper (optional)

On each 6" skewer, put 1/2 of a tomato, mozzarella ball half wrapped in basil (with the skewer going through each end of each basil leaf), the other 1/2 of the tomato, followed by another 1/2 of a tomato, mozzarella ball half wrapped in basil, and the final tomato half. If you are using toothpicks, you will only have room for one entire tomato and one mozzarella ball half wrapped in basil. Repeat until all skewers are completely used. Place skewers on a platter and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Lightly season with salt and pepper.

Source: Elizabeth original

Comments