Oven Fried Breakfast Potatoes

Growing up #SundayBrunch happened a LOT. I wouldn't say every Sunday, but definitely most Sundays. So, for the entire month of August, I'll be posting a #SundayBrunch recipe every Sunday!

For brunch we always had bacon, sometimes sausage, fried eggs (cooked to each person's liking) and I can remember my mom frying up a bunch of potatoes in her cast iron skillet. I think her cast iron skillet is magic. Well, maybe not magic, but certainly well well well seasoned through years and years of use. I don't have a cast iron skillet (I think mostly because none have that seasoned patina of my mom's and she won't give me hers. Yet.). So, every time I try to replicate those potatoes they get stuck to the bottom of my non-cast iron skillet and turn mushy with crunchy bits in them. Not exactly the delicious potatoes of my childhood. Woe is me. What ever shall I do??

Oven frying my breakfast potatoes are my answer. We hosted a brunch for my entire family on the Fourth of July for my sister's birthday. For 11 people. As I was planning this shindig, I realized I was gonna need some help. From my two trusty ovens. So in went a couple trays of bacon. And a tray of sausage. And two trays of potatoes. Because for 11 people I couldn't fathom cooking everything on the stove like I do for our family of 5. And let me tell you. Those potatoes were fabulous. And easy. Makes me never want to pan fry taters again.

Some things to note: Use Yukon Gold potatoes. They crisp up really nicely (I'm assuming they have a lower water content than some of the other kinds of potatoes). Make sure your potatoes are fist sized (Completely scientific, I know. Would you consider those large or medium sized?). The number of potatoes you use depends on the size of your crowd. I used 1 potato per person, plus a few extra depending on how many people I'm trying to feed.
Here's my math:
2 people=2 potatoes+1 potato=3 potatoes
5 people=5 potatoes+2 potatoes=7 potatoes
10 people=10 potatoes+4 potatoes=14 potatoes

Oh, and if you get your math wrong, make sure it's in your favor and you have too many taters. Because leftovers are not a bad thing. Use them in breakfast burritos or as a side to some cooked chicken breast. Or reheat them the next morning for breakfast along with an egg.

Oven Fried Breakfast Potatoes (for 5 people)

7 fist-sized yukon gold potatoes
2 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 450˚ F. Wash and dice potatoes (I cut them lengthwise, then slice into 1/4" slices one way and then slice into 1/4" slices the opposite way. They come out as little rectangles). Place on a baking sheet. Toss with olive oil. Season to your taste with salt and pepper. Place baking sheet in preheated oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes turn potatoes using a spatula/turner. Cooking time will slightly depend on how large your diced potatoes are. If your potatoes look crispy enough for you, remove from oven and serve. If you'd like the potatoes to be a tad more crispy, return to oven for 10 more minutes. Check again after 10 minutes. If the potatoes are still not as crispy, you can place back in the oven for 10 more minutes (I don't recommend exceeding 40 minutes of cooking time, use your own discretion). Serve alongside your favorite breakfast foods!

Source: Elizabeth original

Comments