Summertime Macaroni Salad

Boy howdy guys. I've been hit hard for the last two weeks with a nasty cold. NASTY. And I'm just beginning to feel human. Unless it's first thing in the morning. That still seems to be the worst time of day with this bug. And everyone in our house has had it. Except Miss Moira. What a lucky duck. Me, not her, although she is fortunate to not have gotten this, I am far more lucky to not have to get her through it :) What can I say?? She's got a hearty immune system because this isn't the first cold she's been subjected to that she hasn't gotten. Fingers crossed.

Anyways, now that I'm starting to feel like myself again, I figured I should do something special. Like make macaroni salad. And NOT that over-dressed mushy stuff you can get at the grocery store. Real, wholesome goodness, fresh, and flavorful macaroni salad. That we love at our house. Well, some of us. Adam doesn't make that list, but he's the only one on the "I-could-live-without-this salad" list. The rest of us had seconds and maybe one or two people had thirds (not me, I'm trying watch my portions, but I could have easily consumed a third helping).

Summertime Macaroni Salad

3 cups uncooked ditalini pasta, cooked according to package directions
1/3 cup greek yogurt
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
3 tsp sugar
3-5 dashes chipotle pepper hot sauce, to taste (you can use regular hot sauce, but I like the slight smokiness of the chipotle kind)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp milk
1/2 cup sugar snap peas, roughly chopped in bite-size pieces
1/4 cup black olives, sliced
1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup roasted red bell peppers, diced (pimentos would work too)
1/4 cup radishes, diced

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside, allowing the pasta to cool before assembly. In a large bowl whisk together yogurt, mayonnaise, relish, vinegar, sugar, hot sauce, salt and pepper, and milk. Make sure to taste the dressing at this point and adjust seasonings to your like. Place peas, olives, onions, bell peppers, and radishes in the bowl on top of the dressing. Top with cooled, cooked pasta. Using a large spoon, toss to coat with dressing. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.

Source: Adapted from The Pioneer Woman

Comments