Barbeque Chicken Melts

This recipe was never intentional. As in I never put it in my menu plan. I had other things planned for this chicken, but instead I became desperate for a quick meal idea. So this was the result. Barbeque Chicken Melts.

This recipe would work well if you grilled chicken for the express purpose of using it in this recipe or if you happen have some leftover grilled chicken in your fridge. You could use any kind of cooked chicken for this, but grilled chicken does give off that nice flavor. Now, if you are going to grilled chicken for this recipe, I suggest giving it a light rub in this BBQ seasoning. But you don't have to. I'm just sayin'. I've found that 2 medium chicken breasts makes 4 sandwiches at our house. You can top these sandwiches with any toppings you like. I think that red onions compliment the barbeque flavors nicely. But you could add on tomato or crispy bacon. And once you've melted the cheese on top, go ahead and put on some sliced avocado, pickles, lettuce, or anything else that might strike your fancy.

And you can serve them open face or toast up a second piece of bread and make something you can wrap your hands around. Either way, they're fast, easy, and oh-so-good.

Barbeque Chicken Melts

4 slices bread
2 grilled chicken breasts, diced (or any precooked chicken, approximately 1/3 cup per sandwich)
4 Tbsp of your favorite barbeque sauce (I used this one)
1/4 of a red onion, thinly sliced
4 slices of cheese (provolone or colby jack are the two that I tried and I wasn't disappointed with either)
Any other sandwich toppings you might desire
4 additional slices of bread, lightly toasted

On a foil lined baking sheet, place 4 slices of bread. Top each slice of bread with approximately 1/3 cup of chicken. If using 2 chicken breasts, I just divide it into fourths. Drizzle each pile of chicken with 1 Tbsp barbeque sauce. Top with a few slices of red onion. Place one slice of cheese on each sandwich. Place baking sheet under your broiler and broil at 550˚ F until edges are light brown and cheese is bubbly. It took 5 minutes under my broiler, but definitely watch yours closely. In my experience, no broiler is alike. Some cook at the speed of light and other take their time, and the minute you think you have the latter, your food burns. Remove from broiler and add any additional toppings. Serve.

Source: Elizabeth original

Comments

  1. Ohhhhh Elizabeth this sounds so good-especially on a "its too hot to cook night". Thanks for the share. your aunti loves you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment