Coffee Cake Muffins


Did you know Mother's Day is this weekend? Where the heck did spring go? Seems like it was just knocking on winter's door yesterday. I love my mama dearly and am lucky to have her around and in my family's life. I know that not everyone can say that. I don't burden her with my problems or cry on her shoulders. We don't do one-on-one lunch dates or mani-pedis. But we do share books and magazines, discuss recipes, talk about gardening and flowers, and buy each other stuff that we don't need (and maybe don't even want). And she spoils Moira like no one on this earth, but she does it with small things, like "grocery shopping" from Grandma's pantry, and Marie Kitty (from The Aristocats) things.

My mom has also taught me what it means to be a mom. Even though I don't tell her my problems or cry on her shoulder, I have learned that it is important to be there for your children with an open ear and mind. To sing to them. To treat them in a firm disciplined, but respectful manner. To recognize your children as an individual, but also part of the whole group. And to hug and kiss them as often as you can because they grow-up sooooo fast (I am definitely taking advantage of this right now!).

I am posting this recipe today for two reasons. A) It's delicious B) It reminds me of my mom's coffee cake, but in muffin form. Now, I recommend topping the muffins with a sprinkle of shredded coconut after glazing (which would give you a more authentic version of my mom's coffee cake, but Adam is allergic to coconut, so we don't keep it in the house, and let's face it, I didn't need to eat more than my share of muffins). So, the coconut is totally optional and the muffins are delicious without :)

Coffee Cake Muffins

1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup pecans, finely chopped
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp butter, melted
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 Tbsp milk
1 cup shredded coconut, optional*

Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Prepare a muffin tin with muffin liners. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon, and melted butter. Set aside. Mix thoroughly. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter. Add in eggs one at a time, mixing until each egg is incorporated. Add in sour cream and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Once wet ingredients are combined, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix until everything is moist. Using a dough scoop, scoop batter into prepared tins, filling until almost halfway. Sprinkle a little bit of the pecan mixture on top of the batter in the tins. Place another scoop of dough on top of the pecans, filling about 3/4 of the tins. Top with another sprinkle of pecans. Place into oven and bake for 30-35 minutes. Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. While muffins are cooling, combine powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla, and milk. Mix until there are no lumps. Once the muffins are cooled, using a spoon, drizzle muffins with powdered sugar glaze. *If you are using coconut, don't drizzle the glaze. Instead, dip muffin tops into the glaze and set on wire rack. Sprinkle with coconut.

Source: Adapted from The Shiksa In The Kitchen and my mom

Comments

  1. Yummy --Your Aunti loves you too, Elizabeth-You also have a truly wonderful Momma's day ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment