English Muffin Bread

We are a carb loving family. And up until recently I have NEVER been very good with yeast breads. So, I've opted to purchase them from the store. You see during the proofing process I NEVER checked the temperature of the "warm" water, which you really should do because I was killing the yeast with water that was too hot. Dead yeast = no rise in the bread= flat, dense, disgusting bread. Also I wasn't making bread often enough, so my packets of yeast were expiring, which also leads to dead yeast.

So, after several years, I've learned my lesson. I check the temperature of the water OR I use rapid or quick rise yeast. The rapid rise yeast doesn't need proofing. If you aren't too familiar with yeast, I definitely recommend the rapid or quick rise yeasts that are out there. But if you're a yeast veteran, use what you're comfortable with and note that this recipe doesn't include the proofing steps.

So, of course one of the first things I make with my new found yeasty skills is English muffin bread because we go through A LOT of english muffins. I have tried to make english muffins before, but it was during the dead yeast period of my life, so I've maybe been avoiding them again. At least for now. It WILL be something I conquer. Eventually. But loaf bread seemed a tad easier. Especially this. All you have to do is mix 5 ingredients (Yup, FIVE ingredients) into a bowl and lightly cover until doubled in size. Punch it down divide in half and put dough into TWO loaf pans. Let rise again. Bake, cool, slice and voila. You have wonderful bread that makes into AMAZING toast for anytime of the day. Great for breakfast, or alongside a hot bowl of soup.

English Muffin Bread

2 3/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 Tbsp quick rise yeast
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
5 3/4 cup flour
2 Tbsp cornmeal

*Preheat oven to 350˚ F just BEFORE you deflate the dough and place it into the loaf pans.*

In a large bowl with a lid, combine water, yeast, sugar, and salt. Mix thoroughly until dissolved. Add in 3 cups flour and stir to combine. Stir in remaining flour until there are no more dry spots. The dough will be very wet and very sticky. Lightly cover bowl with lid. I like to offset the lid just slightly so air can escape the bowl. Lightly grease two loaf pans. Coat each pan with 1 Tbsp cornmeal. Shake out excess into the sink. Set aside. Once the dough doubles in size (about 1 1/2-2 hours), grease your hands. This will make the sticky dough easier to handle. Deflate the dough by putting your hands on it and pushing down. Divide the dough in half and place each half in a prepared loaf pan. Place loaf pans side by side (against the long side). Set the lid from your bowl on top of the two loaf pans. The lid probably won't cover all of the pans (my corners usually hang out). *Preheat oven to 350˚ F.* Allow the dough to rise to the top of the pans (about 1 hour). The dough may stick slightly to the lid, so using your fingers, separate the lid from the dough very carefully. Place loaf pans in preheated oven and bake for 26-30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove loaves from pans and place on a wire rack to continue cooling. Slice. Toast up desired amount. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Leftovers can also be frozen and thawed for later consumption.

Source: Adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe

Comments

  1. ITS BEEN A WHILE SINCE I'VE BAKED ANY YEAST BREAD--SO NOW YOU'VE DONE IT AND I'M JUST GONNA HAVE TO DO IT AS I CAN ALREADY SMELL IT BAKING!!!
    GREAT BLOG HERE ELIZABETH-YOUR AUNTI LOVES YOU

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment