Easy Lemon Garlic Broiled Salmon

We eat a lot of chicken at our house. And I mean A LOT. Seven nights in the week and five of them are almost always chicken. Of course that's mostly what we have because I don't really care for pork very much, Adam's dad doesn't really like beef a whole lot, and Adam and his mom are both allergic to fish and seafood (saltwater only). Fortunately for us, salmon doesn't fall into the saltwater fish category of life. They live most of their lives in fresh water, only delving into the ocean for a short period of their lives.

I still don't prepare salmon very much, but when I do, I broil it. It provides a nice crispy texture to outside, with a moist, flaky inside. Although, you must be very watchful every time you place something under the broiler because every broiler is different. I've had some cook really fast and some cook really slow. Some you can set the temperature on and some you can't. So, just be mindful of your salmon when it's in the broiler. I don't want you making fish charcoal.

Now, we're lucky enough to live in the Pacific Northwest, which gives us access to fresh salmon all the time. I have a wonderful grocery in town that has the best looking fresh seafood. I have made this using the frozen filets that come individually wrapped and they weren't horrible, but if I had a choice, I would go with fresh every time. And this is easily adaptable for a party of 1. Or 2. Or even more than 4. And you can season it with lots of different flavors, although depending on what I'm serving it with, I usually go with a lemon pepper garlic flavor. Classic, simple, flavorful, and goes with just about anything I serve along side.

Easy Broiled Salmon

4 -1/3lb salmon filets
1 lemon, zested and sliced thin
2 tsp olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp coarse kosher salt
Pepper to taste


Place one oven rack directly in the middle of your oven. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a large piece of foil. Place the salmon filets evenly apart, skin side down. I usually do a 2x2 configuration. Place two slices of lemon under each filet (to prevent sticking later on). Drizzle each filet with 1/2 tsp olive oil. In a small bowl, combine lemon zest, garlic, salt and pepper. Place equal amounts of the lemon pepper mixture on each filet. Rub the lemon zest mixture into the salmon filets. Place under the broiler and turn on to 550˚ F (if you can). Broil for 10-15 minutes, checking every 5 minutes because every broiler is slightly different and wacky. The salmon filets will turn slightly opaque in color and the lemon garlic seasoning will just begin to brown on the edges. Remove from broiler and allow to rest briefly. Serve.

Source: Elizabeth original

Comments