Delicious Tragedy

Not everything that happens in my kitchen is good. Or delicious. Or pretty. Or worth eating. But some things are good, delicious, pretty, and worth eating. And there are things that have some of those qualities, but also are lacking in other areas. Like this chocolate cake:

It is good, delicious, and worth eating, but it certainly won't be winning any beauty contests any time soon. It's-supposed-to-be-a-bundt-cake!! But that's ok. I'll just keep trying to get things right. The first thing I'll try? Not OVER BEATING the batter. It's a classic mistake and there are recipes out there that tell you to make sure you don't over beat the batter. It's not something I've ever done before. At least until now.

I figured I'd whip this cake out one afternoon because it needs like 3 hours to cool. Not exactly a throw-together-after-dinner-dessert. And I thought, I'll just use the hand mixer. No need to pull out the big guns. I MAY have been in too big of hurry. Sigh. Well, long story short, the hand mixer died. I poured in the last bit of dry ingredients and there was a clank-clank-clank so loud that I thought one of my metal measuring cups had fallen in. Whaaaat?!? No, no measuring cups. Just the death of an ancient hand mixer. And the batter was only 1/3 of the way mixed.

Had to pull out the big guns anyways. But that's ok. Moira thinks mixing is great no matter what tools are used to do it.

And apparently, she likes cocoa powder. A lot. Snatched up the measuring cup I had used and practically licked it clean. And whatever she didn't/couldn't get, Sadie puppy helped her out. Because that's what my girls do. SHARE. No matter how hard I try to discourage it.

So, I'll give this recipe another go and see if the beating was what did it. I mean my family scarfed the cake down no matter it's appearance, so if I can get it to actually look like a bundt cake....

Comments