Homemade Mayonnaise

The holidays are coming up FAST. The two months I thought I had for gift crafting are gone. Where the heck did they go?? Well, between work, the endless house project (we're finally nearing the end), and chasing after Moira, time seems to have disappeared. And so for the last week I've been working every available minute on organizing and wrapping the presents that don't need crafting. Which means I haven't done a big grocery trip in a couple of weeks. I've only sent Adam running to the store for a couple items here and there after he gets off work.

So, imagine my slight distress when I went to make burgers for dinner and found out we were out of mayonnaise. Ugh. It was already like 7pm, Adam needed to grill the burgers and I was working on getting everything else ready. Plus from where we live the store is further than anyone would want to drive for a lousy jar of mayo. So, I figured I would try my hand at the homemade version. I didn't know how long it would take or what it would really taste like. But all I can say is that I am incredibly impressed.

I mean WOW. I don't think I will ever EVER buy another jar of the stuff again. It seriously took like 5 minutes and a handful of ingredients that I always have on hand. And the flavor?? Amazing. It reminded me of the Christmas my family and I spent in France (like almost 20 years ago). I was in middle school and I can remember my aunt made some French fries, but didn't have any ketchup (catsup? Spell check doesn't like that spelling.). Instead my aunt served them with mayonnaise. It was a catastrophe. At least for 4 little kids who LOVED ketchup. But desperate for those fries, I tried it with the mayo and the whole experience was unlike anything I have ever tasted. I mean our jarred gelatinous white goop is nothing compared to the slightly zesty creamy goodness I had in France. But now? Now I have found it. And it's as simple as homemade.

Homemade Mayonnaise

2 egg yolks
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
Juice from 1 lemon
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp sugar
2 cups vegetable oil
Salt to taste

In a food processor (or blender), add egg yolks, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, and sugar. Turn blades on low (this was the "CHOP" setting on mine. "Puree" was too fast.). Slowly stream in the vegetable oil so it becomes thick and emulsified. Churn until desired consistency has been reached, about 5 minutes total from the time when you first turn on the food processor. Season with salt to taste.

Source: Adapted from Drizzle and Dip

Comments