Chicken Enchilada Soup

I haven't started any of my holiday baking. I have barely started my holiday decorating. But I have 99.9% of my holiday shopping complete. And 50% of my holiday wrapping done. So I guess I'm not doing too bad. And truth be told, this year isn't going to be a big baking year for me. I'll do something for a couple of our neighbors. And some other goodies for a couple of friends. And maybe a tray or two of some bar cookies for Adam's work party. But that is low key. Usually I'm up to my eye balls in baked goods and homemade candies.

Instead, I'm really focusing more of my attention on Moira and this being her second Christmas. She is already enjoying everything about this holiday season waaay more than last year. Like picking out our Christmas tree?? She loved running through the trees, touching the trees, and picking up the rocks on the ground. And Christmas lights? Well, we happen to have a local Pepsi plant that has a large light display, which we've already driven through once this year and it surely won't be the only time. (No where near Corvallis?? Check out the video below to see the Pepsi light display, guided by my mother-in-law herself!)

Also, Adam hung up the outdoor Christmas lights yesterday while Moira was down for her nap. Adam decided to take her outside and show her when she woke up. Moira desperately wanted to stay outside and stare at those darn lights. So bad in fact that she had a 20 minute tantrum after coming inside, which is something she never has. Sigh. And now she wants to see them every time we get close to the front door. Every. Time.
So, after what seems like several hours on several different occasions of standing outside looking at Christmas lights, I need something warm. And cozy. And comforting.

Chicken Enchilada Soup

3 cups chicken broth
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
2 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp chili powder
Dash of cayenne pepper (more if you like things spicy)
3 1/2 cups tomatoes, diced, about 4 medium size tomatoes
3 jalapenos, finely chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cup black beans, cooked
2 cups corn (frozen, canned or fresh)
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 cup Cotija cheese, crumbled (Cotija is a Mexican cheese that is similar in consistency to feta, but not as tangy)
1 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded

In a large pot, combine broth, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add in tomatoes, jalapenos, bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Continue to simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in black beans, corn, and tomato paste. Continue to cook for 30 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Cotija and pepper jack. Serve with diced avocado, chopped cilantro, sour cream, tortilla chips, and additional Cotija and pepper jack cheeses.

Source: Adapted from Homemade By Holman

Comments