Tomato Basil Pasta Salad

Recently we received a HUGE bag of basil from Adam's aunt and uncle. Now, I could've just made pesto out of the whole thing, but where's the fun in that?? I looked through the 400+ recipes I have pinned on Pinterest to "try" and found a few that used basil. Either fresh or in pesto form.

Most of the recipes using fresh basil either use it in small garnishing amounts or as whole leaves (mostly Caprese salads and pastas). I love me some Caprese. Slabs of vine ripened tomatoes layered with fresh basil and hunks of soft, fresh mozzarella. But there's only so many nights in a row one can eat Caprese-style salads. And let's be honest. Caprese is NOT one of Adam's favorites. So, that leaves it to me to eat his share, which isn't the greatest idea ever.

When I first saw this recipe, I was drawn to the fact that it had basil, but the rest of the cast of characters didn't impress me. But hey, I'm a go-for-it kinda girl. If anything I could add some ranch dressing and grilled chicken if it didn't get high marks. Well, let me tell you there was no need to add anything extra, although you could add in chicken for a whole-meal-deal.

Tomato Basil Pasta Salad

1/2 lb uncooked pasta, cooked according to package directions (something small, bite-size is appropriate. I used ditalini, but small shells, orecchiette, or baby bow ties would work)
1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 lemon, zested and juiced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 Tbsp dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

In a large bowl, combine cooked pasta, tomatoes, basil, and feta. In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, and dijon mustard. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour dressing over pasta and turn to coat. Season pasta with salt and pepper to taste. Chill for at least an hour so flavors can be absorbed into pasta. Serve.

Source: Adapted from Court and Hudson


Comments