Cleaning/Freezing Blueberries

A couple weeks ago I went out blueberry picking with my mom and sister. Now for them, this is annual event, but for me? This was my first time. We went out to this U-pick farm, got their largest bucket (I think it was a gallon??) and headed on foot to the spot the farmer dude directed us to. When we got to the "prime" picking spot, we dove right in. And in an hour we had three full buckets of blueberries. So, we hoofed it back to the farmer dude who weighed them and put them into tray boxes for us to take home. We had 38 pounds of berries.

Now, I have to tell you that before we had gone blueberry picking, my sister had informed me that my mom was a "super picker" and was quite speedy and that my youngest brother (who usually goes on this excursion) is a "snail picker" and usually has to have my mom fill most of his bucket. Well, this time? I kept pace with my mom (although I'm not sure that really qualifies me as a "super picker") and after my mom and I had filled our buckets, we turned our attention to the empty 1/3 of my sister's bucket. During which (and after) there was much harassing to be had :)

Anyways, I brought home about 13 pounds of blueberries. Some of which were eaten straight from the box, some were cleaned and then consumed, I cleaned and baked with a good portion of them, and then there were still more. The blueberries that we couldn't scarf down in a week. So I cleaned them and froze them. To use at a later date. Maybe I'll make smoothie packets with them. Or pull out just enough for a baked good. I do have a recipe for blueberry ricotta doughnuts that I've been wanting to try...

Now, I've always heard that you shouldn't clean your berries until you're ready to use them. Something about how introducing extra moisture helps them go bad faster. And I know some people who will just go ahead and freeze their berries without washing them first, which is probably ok, but I.CAN'T.DO.IT. Must just be control issue. Or maybe it's OCD because I like things clean. So, I cleaned my berries before I froze them (but while I left them fresh, I didn't clean them until I was ready to use them). Also, I know some people just place their berries into a freezer safe container or freezer bag and stick them in the freezer. I prefer using a baking sheet for the initial freeze and then transfer to a container. That way the berries don't clump together too badly when frozen.

Cleaning Blueberries


Sort through your berries. Remove any stems, dried flowers, bugs, green/unripe berries, or berries that don't look right (shriveled, squishy, etc.). Place berries in a colander and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Lay out a towel on your kitchen counter or dining table (wherever you have the most space). A dark towel that won't show blue/purple stains or a towel you don't care about is ideal. Spread berries into a single layer and let air dry (about 20-30 minutes) or gently pat dry with another towel or a paper towel.

Freezing Blueberries

Take a baking sheet and make sure it will fit in your freezer. I have one baking sheet that is different from all the rest because it is the only on that will fit in my freezer. Once you find the baking sheet that will fit, line it with wax paper. In an even layer, spread your berries out on the sheet. Place sheet in the freezer for at least 4 hours. Remove berries from freezer and transfer to a freezer safe container or freezer bag. Label with the date and place back in the freezer until a later use.

Comments