Smothered Grilled Corn

I am no grill master at our house. I fully and completely relinquish that duty to Adam. Not because I can't do it, but because when food is grilled, it's the only food that I don't have to "cook" myself. Gives me kind of a break from the kitchen. So, everything you see on the blog that has to be grilled, my man is taking care of for me.

Now, even though I am not the one who mans the grill, I am the one who prepares everything to go on the grill (99% of the time). And more often than not, my opinion is required for "doneness" when Adam's grilling something that he's not used to. Adam's great when it comes to hot dogs, burgers, Marty "da kine" steak, chicken breasts, asparagus, and zucchini because all of these things frequent our grill. A lot. Grilled corn?? Ya, this was a new one for Adam (I love getting him outside his box). Not to say we haven't tried to grill corn before, but it just hasn't ever turned out like we (I) imagine. So, usually corn is shucked and boiled on the stove. Which of course during the blazing summer, heats the house to sauna-type temperatures pretty effectively (which could be okay if one could strut their stuff in appropriate sauna attire, but just remember, I share a house with my in-laws. So, sauna attire is OUT OF THE QUESTION for me).

So, anyways, I came across this recipe for grilled corn on Eclectic Recipes that had you shucking the corn and putting it directly on the grill. DUH! It seems so obvious, but before this I figured the corn had to stay wrapped in its husk so that when placed on the grill, it had a little sauna time of its own. Nope. Not true. Get that corn naked and lay it out on your grill. You don't even need to oil it up. Angie from Eclectic Recipes also took her corn and gave it a drizzle of melted garlic butter and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. Our corn needed to feel pampered, so I gave it a garlic butter bath and an Asiago cheese wrap.

Smothered Grilled Corn

4 ears corn, shucked (husks and silk completely removed)
1/4 cup butter
2 large cloves garlic minced (I used a garlic press which produced chunkier garlic, but if you don't like your garlic very chunky, I recommend grating the garlic on a microplane)
1/4 cup Asiago cheese, grated (I used a microplane to get really fine gratings, which allowed the cheese to melt nicely over the corn)
Pepper to taste
1 tsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped

Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Once the grill is preheated, place ears of corn on grill. Cook for 3-4 minutes and turn corn about 1/3 (not completely over, just a slight turn). Corn should begin to have char marks where it had been on the grill. Cook another 3-4 minutes and turn so that the last 1/3 of the corn is on the grill surface. Cook for another 3-4 minutes. Remove from grill. In a small bowl, place butter and garlic. Melt the butter in the microwave (approximately 30-45 seconds) Pour about 1 Tbsp of the melted butter on top of each ear of corn. Roll each ear of corn in 1 Tbsp of the grated Asiago cheese. Season with pepper and parsley. Serve.

Note: Adam didn't care for the char spots on his corn, so to minimize char marks, turn grill down to medium or medium low heat. Cook as directed and then repeat the cooking steps. It will take twice as long to cook, but there will be hardly any char spots and all the flavor of the grill.

Source: Slightly adapted from Eclectic Recipes

Comments

  1. Oh Holy Moley-This has my taste buds goin' an I'm at work--til 5. This really sounds yummy especially the asiago cheese-which I love. Next corn at my house is definately goin on my grill-if it doesn't suit my 3 Dudes-tough-More for me!
    Thanks, Elizabeth-- Your Aunti loves you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment