Classic Pancakes

I'm not a big breakfast eater. I never have been. It always seems to make my stomach turn if I eat too early in the morning. So, I don't usually. Yes, I am aware it is the most important meal of the day and it gives you all the energy you need to get your day going. And when I was pregnant, I made it a priority to eat breakfast every day. Because I was feeling queasy anyways. I might as well get in some nutrition. But normally, I won't eat breakfast. But I LOVE breakfast foods.

Enter Brunch. Such a genius idea! And at brunch it is also socially acceptable to break out the booze. But it's also totally ok if you don't partake in the early day drinking either! Like I said. Genius. And while I love brunch, I'm also a fan of the "Breakfast for Dinner" concept. And there are so many varieties of breakfast foods out there! So if you don't like eggs, or bacon, or sausage, there's amazing things like waffle, blintzes, and pancakes. I used to love thin pancakes. Almost as thin a crepes, but not quite. Until I made these. Thick and fluffy (not doughy as a lot of thick pancakes tend to be) and would be a great base for additions such as various fruits or even chocolate chips! So whether you prefer breakfast, brunch, or dinner (or all three!), you should give these pancakes a try.

Classic Pancakes

1 1/2 cups flour
3 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1 1/4 cup milk
1 egg
3 Tbsp butter, melted

Preheat a griddle over medium-high heat. In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, milk, and egg. Let sit for a couple of minutes to allow the baking powder to rise the batter. It will become airy and fluffy. Pour melted butter over the top of the batter and gently fold in. Spoon batter on to preheated griddle. Approximately 2 Tbsp of batter for small pancakes and 1/4 cup for large pancakes. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until brown. Flip and cook the other side for a couple more minutes, or until brown. Serve with your favorite toppings (syrup, fresh fruit, whipped cream, etc.).

Source: Slightly adapted from Allrecipes

Comments