Backyard Barbeque Chicken Sandwich

As the days get longer and summer quickly approaches, we begin to fire up our grill a lot more than we do the rest of the year. Which is saying a lot because we are year round grillers. I do try to avoid nights when it's snowing or pouring rain, but Adam will grill whenever I ask him to. That being said, I'm always looking out for different ways to prepare grilled entrees and sides.

So, one night when we were out at one of our favorite local eateries, I decided to diverge from my go-to favorite meal and order a chicken sandwich with BBQ sauce already on it. Which is a pretty big step for me. And I was not disappointed with my selection. The restaurant calls their sandwich just "Backyard Chicken Sandwich", but I feel the need to add the word barbeque because it is such an integral part of the sandwich.

Backyard Barbeque Chicken Sandwich

4 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts (could also use large breasts, if you butterfly them)
1 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup barbeque sauce
4 onion buns (regular or kaiser would also work)
4 slices cheddar cheese
8 slices bacon, cooked
Tomato, sliced thin
Onion, sliced thin
Avocado, sliced thin
Lettuce
Sliced pickles
Mayo
Mustard
Ketchup

Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Season each chicken breast with salt and pepper. Drizzle chicken with olive oil. Place chicken on preheated grill. With a basting brush, coat the side of each chicken breast with the barbeque sauce. After a couple minutes, flip the chicken, using tongs. Brush the other side with barbeque sauce. Cook for a couple more minutes and flip again. Baste with barbeque sauce and continue to cook for  couple more minutes. Flip one final time and baste with barbeque sauce (each side of the chicken should have been basted twice). Cook for a couple more minutes. Remove chicken from grill when the juices run clear (when pressed down on).

Assemble sandwiches with the remaining ingredients to suit your tastes. I set everything out and let everyone assemble their own sandwich. I prefer my chicken on the bottom half of my bun, followed by cheese, bacon, avocado, tomato, onion, lettuce, and pickles. Adam prefers his without the avocado or tomato. And if there's a topping you prefer that's not listed, feel free to add it and make this dish your own!

Source: Elizabeth original, inspired by McMenamin's on Monroe

Comments