S'mores Bars


So, I was going to start this post off about the weather here. Again. Not much has changed weather-wise. No big surprise. There are a couple reasons I seem to always want to write about the weather.

Reason #1: I can sit at my computer and gaze out my window into the dreary, rainy day, day dreaming of warmer weather.

Reason #2: Misery loves company. And mine is no exception. Sorry.

So, if you are someone who is living it up, enjoying summer-type weather, I'm there with ya. If you're experiencing weather like mine, or worse (Yes, I can recognize my situations are better of than most), then make these. Indoors. And think about summer. Maybe put on some sparkly red shoes and click your heels together. Three times. Close your eyes. Say aloud "There's no place like summer. There's no place like summer. There's no place like summer." Go ahead. Take a peek. Did it work for you?? Nope. Me either. Well, in the meantime, chow down on these. Pure chocolate marshmallow therapy.

S'mores Bars

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup flour
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 tsp baking powder
3 7oz Hershey chocolate bars, unwrapped (These are the gigantic ones)
1 12oz jar marshmallow fluff

Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Grease a 13x9 baking dish. In a large bowl, cream together butter and both sugars. Add in egg and vanilla. In a small bowl, combine flour, graham cracker crumbs, and baking powder. Add to the wet ingredients and mix well. Divide the dough in half. Put half of the dough in the bottom of the prepared pan and press into an even layer. Roll the other half of dough into a rectangle the same size as your pan. I found this to be easily done if the dough was on wax paper.

On top of the bottom crust, lay out the chocolate bars. I had to break one up to get them to fit and I didn't use all of it. On top of the chocolate, pour the marshmallow fluff and smooth into an even layer. Take the wax paper that has the top layer of crust and put crust side down on top of the marshmallow. Carefully peel off the wax paper. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the top crust is lightly browned. Cool and cut.

*Some members of my household felt that the chocolate layer was too thick, but I enjoyed it. Please feel free to cut back if you would prefer. You could substitute regular chocolate bars for the gigantic chocolate ones, but keep in mind you will need more than 3 to cover the crust. The regular bars are thinner than the gigantic ones.

Source: Adapted from The Apron Gal, originally from Baked Perfection

Comments

  1. OMG I just saw these on Knapkins. They look heavenly! And dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie! They're definitely dangerous! I'm not a big sweets person, but I HAD to get more stuff to make these again :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment