Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats


I don't like cake. At all. When I was little, my mom would ask what kind of cake I wanted for my birthday and my response was always the same. Ice cream cake. None of that dry-crumbly-sawdust-from-a-box cake topped with overly-sugary-fake-tasting-slide-down-the-back-of-your-throat-and-make-you-gag frosting. No thanks. I'll stick with ice cream. And to be totally honest I don't even like the flavor of cake. From a box, from a store, homemade. Just don't like it. I know. I'm weird. And one of the biggest food fads right now? Cake batter everything. Pancakes. Cinnamon rolls. Ice cream cupcakes. Cookies. Brownies. Donuts. Martinis. Truffles. Bark. Milkshakes. Fudge. And these. Rice Krispie Treats.

And although I'm not a fan of cake. My entire household is. Completely enamored. I could make them happy clams just by mixing up a boxed cake and coating it in canned frosting. Which I do from time to time. Gotta keep 'em happy.

Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats

Rice Krispie Treats:

1 Tbsp butter
30 large marshmallows or approximately 3 1/2 cups of the minis
1/4 cup yellow cake mix
4 cups rice krispies
1 1/2 tsp sprinkles

Frosting:

1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 Tbsp milk
1/4 cup yellow cake mix
Sprinkles for topping

For the rice krispie treats:
Grease a 8x8 baking dish. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add in marshmallows and stir constantly until marshmallows are completely melted. Add in cake mix and stir until combined. Remove from heat and stir in rice krispies and sprinkles until thoroughly coated in marshmallow. Scrape into greased 8x8. Using your hand, pat into an even layer. I find this is easiest to do if you let it cool slightly (just for a couple minutes. Let cool completely before removing from pan and cutting into squares.

For the frosting:
Once the rice krispie treats have cooled and been cut, in a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and 1 Tbsp milk. The consistency should be slightly thick, but still runny. M ix in more milk if needed. Add in cake mix and thoroughly combine. Drizzle over rice krispie treats. Top with more sprinkles. The frosting makes more than I used, but you could also dip the rice krispie treats into it and top with sprinkles or use the remaining frosting for drizzling on top of sponge cake, dipping strawberries, or anything else you might like it for.

Source: Adapted from Food Makes My World Go Round

Comments