Steak Quesadillas

I needed something quick and easy to make for dinner one night (although, this seems like almost every night around our house). And even though I menu plan for every week, sometimes the meals I plan are not "Rachel Ray" kind of meals. They usually require a bit more prep work and cooking time (but not a lot of extra skill). I don't usually plan meals that I can bust out in 20 minutes or less because I enjoy the time I spend in the kitchen. But I found my self needing such a meal on this particular night.

So, I looked in my fridge and examined our leftovers situation. I had some steak from the night before and some Spanish-style rice from a meal earlier in the week. I always have some form of cheese on hand, whether it's shredded or block form. I even had sour cream, salsa, olives, cilantro, and avocado on hand. The only thing I didn't have were enough flour tortillas to make quesadillas. So, Adam, being the fabulous husband he is, went to the store and got me some :)

I served these as a main dish item with rice and salad on the side. You can also serve these as a side to a yummy bowl of tortilla soup or with the Mexican Chef Salad. Either way these quesadillas are basic and yummy.

And, I give you Steak Quesadillas. Courtesy of leftovers and Adam.

Steak Quesadillas

3-5 Tbsp vegetable oil
12 flour tortillas, medium size
1- 1 1/2 cups cooked steak cut into bite-sized pieces (chicken, ground beef, chorizo would all be great or plain cheese is just dandy too)
2- 2 1/2 cups cheese, shredded (several kinds will work. I had some garlic white cheddar, medium cheddar, and a partial bag of pre-shredded Mexican blend on hand)
Additional add-ins or toppings: black beans, corn, cilantro, black olives, salsa, tomatoes, onion, avocado, sour cream, guacamole, bell peppers, or any of your favorites not listed

Over medium high heat, preheat a griddle pan. Pour oil into a small bowl. With a small pastry brush (or a wadded paper towel will work, but gets your hands really oily), lightly brush one side of a tortilla with oil. Place oil side down on a plate. Place 1/3 cup shredded cheese in an even layer, leaving 1/3" empty rim around the outside of the tortilla (allows for the cheese to melt and spread). Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of steak on cheese. If you are adding black beans, corn, or anything else to the inside of your quesadilla, do it now. Just make sure that your additional items (including your steak) is not more than 4 tablespoons worth, otherwise the tortilla won't crisp as nicely and the cheese won't melt to both sides. Sprinkle with another tablespoon of cheese. Pick up and place on griddle (oi side down, just as it was sitting on your plate. Place another tortilla atop the cheese and steak. Brush to exposed side of the tortilla with oil. Let cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the bottom tortilla is crispy and brown. With a turner, flip the quesadilla. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.Repeat with remaining tortillas. Cool and cut into wedges. Top with your favorite toppings. Makes 6 quesadillas.

Source: Elizabeth original

Comments