Roasted Carrots with Cumin and Lime


I am always looking for new ways to prepare vegetables. I mean you can't just eat an amazing entree and have blah-ho-hum sides. So, when I first saw this recipe, I was a bit torn. Typically I like my veggie sides to be green. I don't know why. Maybe subconsciously I think green veggies are healthier than their other counter parts (Which they aren't. Carrots have over 400% of your daily Vitamin A!) or maybe I just like the having the green color balance out my dinner plate. I also wasn't sure about using the Cumin-Lime flavoring with carrots. I totally love this combination of flavors, but I've only ever used them when preparing Mexican-style food, never on a veggie side that I served along with chicken!

So, after months of skimming over this recipe, I finally decided to give it a go, and I am so glad I did! It was fantastic! A great way to fix carrots! They were devoured. Only one remained. Moira also loved them. She ate two whole carrots by herself! And the single lonely leftover carrot?? She ate that a couple days later with her lunch.

On a side note: I just can't believe how fast she is growing up! She only wants to eat what we eat. Nothing mushed, smashed, or baby-fied. Small chunks of big people food. This has been going on for the last month and a half and it is really nice to not have to make her a special meal. The best part?? She loves everything we've had. My kiddo will have quite the sophisticated set of taste buds :)

OK. Circling back again. Don't hesitate to try this! Especially with spring and summer quickly approaching. I definitely see quite a few bunches of carrots purchased from my local farmer's market this year :)

Roasted Carrots with Cumin and Lime

1 lb carrots (I used ones from a bag in the produce section, although you could use the fresh ones that still have their green tops. Just make sure that they are on the skinny side and approximately all the same size so they cook evenly)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 lime, zested and juiced
1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp coarse kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp ground coriander
2 green onions, thinly sliced on a diagonal

Preheat oven to 400˚ F. On a large baking sheet (15x11), toss carrots with olive oil, lime zest, HALF of the lime juice, honey, salt, cumin, paprika, and coriander. Roast in oven for 20-30 minutes. The time will depend on the size of your carrots. After the first 10 minutes, turn carrots. At 20 minutes, check carrots. They should be tender and just beginning to develop some brown colors. If not, return to the oven for and additional 10 minutes. Transfer carrots to a serving dish and toss with remaining lime juice and green onions.

*If you prefer to have a more light lime flavor, only juice half of the lime and use that to toss with the carrots before cooking. Then, slice the remaining half into wedges and serve alongside the cooked carrots.

Source: Adapted from Family Style Food

Comments