Beef, Potato, and Quinoa Stew

The weather here lately has been pretty neurotic. Like yesterday. Rainy at times, briefly snowy (didn't last for more than a couple minutes), followed by icy rain and dappled sunlight. Yup. Yesterday those were all weather possibilities. Spring is definitely trying to come, but winter isn't quite ready to let go. Yet. So, until spring actually arrives, there's still the "hunker down and keep warm" mentality here.

In the hunkering-down spirit I decided to make some stew. Thick and hearty, but not like you were eating sludge. With melt-in-your-mouth chunks of beef. Substantial bites of carrots and potato. Little bits of spinach. And quinoa (pronounced keen-wa). The fancy-pants grain that everyone is raving about. You can say I succumbed to the peer pressure of seeing quinoa being prepared on every cooking show and popping up on every food blog. But really?? We've just gotten tired of the same old starched at our house. Well, at least I have. Plus I wanted to try it because it's supposed to be really good for Moira (and us). And I will pretty much feed this kid anything healthy (I don't want a picky eater, plus it's easier for me when she can eat whatever it is that we're having).

Know what? Moira loved this stew. Love, love, loved it. Her and I shared it for lunch several days in a row after I made it. Basic, yet flavorful. The only thing is that I had to special order the spice that went in it because I couldn't find it locally. I ordered it from Amazon and I do recommend if you're gonna make this, that you buy it too (locally if you can find it, online if you can't).


Beef, Potato, and Quinoa Stew

2 tsp olive oil
6-7 green onions/scallions, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tomato, diced
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp Badia Sazon Tropical with Annato and Coriander*
1 lb beef stew meat, cut into bite sized pieces
4 cups low sodium beef broth
1/2 cup lager style beer (broth maybe substituted)
1/2 cup water
4 cubes low sodium beef bouillon
2 medium carrots, sliced into bite sized pieces
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced into bite sized pieces (I used russet potatoes, but Yukons or Reds would be just as good and I wouldn't peel those)
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 cup spinach, roughly chopped
3 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper

In a large pot, saute green onions and garlic in oil over medium high heat until translucent. Add in tomato, cumin, and sazon. Cook for a couple of minutes. Add in beef, broth, beer, water, bouillon, carrots, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Add in potato, quinoa, and spinach. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook uncovered for another 30 minutes. Mix in cilantro and serve.

Source: Adapted from SkinnyTaste

*Online sources for Badia Sazon Tropical with Annato and Coriander

Wal*mart
Amazon

Comments