Easy Chicken Parmesan


Remember the Panko Chicken Teriyaki dish I made a while back? I mentioned that it was something that I made twice that week with another variation percolating away in my brain. Well, here's that variation. Chicken Parmesan. Now usually when I make Chicken Parmesan, I bread it and pan fry it. By using the oven method that the Panko Chicken uses, I'm cutting out the use of the oil. AKA: getting splattered with oil. On my clothes. In my face. I'm sooo down with that. Plus it gives me a little bit of free time because I'm not babysitting the chicken.

Easy Chicken Parmesan

Chicken:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 eggs
3/4 cup plain bread crumbs
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2-3)
Vegetable oil or non-stick cooking spray

Preheat oven to 475˚ F.  In a bowl, pie plate, or loaf pan, mix together flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper.  In a second bowl, lightly beat the eggs together.  Place the bread crumbs, panko, Parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning in a third bowl or pie plate.  Place a wire rack over a baking sheet (I line my sheet with foil for an even quicker clean-up) and coat rack with oil or spray with nonstick cooking spray. I lightly soak a paper towel in vegetable oil and wipe down my rack.

Split the chicken breasts in half by butterflying them leaving 4-6 pieces total.  Season both sides of the chicken pieces with salt and pepper.  Dredge chicken in the flour mixture to coat both sides.  Shake lightly to remove any excess.  Dip into eggs and shake gently to remove any excess.  Finally, coat well in the bread crumbs.  Transfer to the prepared wire rack.  Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.

Bake for 15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the bread crumbs are golden.  Let rest a few minutes before serving. Serve atop a pile of cooked pasta. Top with tomato sauce and additional Parmesan cheese.

Tomato Sauce:

1 Tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 (30 oz) can tomato sauce (I like low sodium)
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes (or 2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced)
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp fresh chopped herbs (like basil, parsley, thyme) or 1 tsp dried herbs
salt and pepper to taste
water, white wine, or chicken broth (approximately 1/2-1 cup)

In a medium saucepan, saute garlic and onion in olive oil over medium heat until onion is translucent. Add in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, herbs, salt and pepper. Simmer over low for 10 minutes. Add in enough water, wine, or chicken broth to achieve a consistency you prefer. Simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve over chicken and cooked pasta.

Source: Adapted from Panko Breaded Chicken, originally from Annie's Eats

Comments