Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookies

 
So, I know that the last recipe I posted was a dessert. And I wouldn't normally do desserts back to back like this, but this is a recipe the you MUST know about. NOW. 

I came across this recipe while on Pinterest and immediately knew it was something I had to make. I could tell that I would enjoy it and that Adam would LOVE it (remember, he has a thing for sugar). Oooh, was I right. These little cookie gems were delish! 

In the original recipe (from Cookies and Cups), she tells you to go buy a muffin top pan. So, I was totally going to obey (something that doesn't happen often, just ask Adam), but upon some research determined a whoopie pie pan is ultimately the same thing, just slightly smaller cavities. Now, the original recipe says it makes 9 to 10 cookies and her pictures show two Dove candies per cookie. I got 18 cookies, each with only one Dove candy. 

Side note: I told my sister I had purchased one of these pans and she scoffed and asked why I would even consider buying one. Didn't I know that I didn't need a whoopie pie pan to make whoopie pies? In fact I did know this, but I informed her it wasn't whoopie pies I was after, but these delicious deep dish cookies. 

Awesomely fresh and warm with a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce. Talk about sugar coma. They would also be good served plain on a snowy day with a cup of hot cocoa. Or they're even quite tasty the next day "cold" (although you could warm them for a few seconds in the microwave). The really nice thing? You could totally make this as is or change it up a bit to suit your cravings. I'm talking mini peanut butter cups, rolos, toffee bits, the works.
   
Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookies 

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
16 unwrapped chocolate candies (I used Dove Dark Chocolates)

Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Grease whoopie pie pan. Cream together butter and both sugars. Add in eggs and vanilla. Mix until combined. Add baking soda, salt and flour. Mix until thoroughly combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Fill each cavity of greased pan 1/2 full with dough, pressing down so it's even. Place one unwrapped chocolate on dough in each cavity. Top with more dough, covering chocolates completely. Cavities should be filled just under the top of the pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Edges of cookies should be golden brown. Cool in pan for 8-10 minutes. Remove gently from pan. Repeat until all cookie dough is used. Serve warm with ice cream, or just indulge as is.

Source: Slightly adapted from Cookies and Cups  

Comments