Asian Beef and Veggie Ramen Skillet

I am always on the look out for easy dinner recipes. Usually a quick meal here is done and ready to eat in an hour. But normally dinner takes me two hours to put together. I start cooking at 6pm and we are ready to eat around 8pm. So, dinner that is on the table in under 30 minutes and gets demolished with mmm's throughout dinner? I can tell you that it's a pretty rare thing at our house. Which is one of the many reasons why I love this dish. Fast, easy, and there are hardly any leftovers. And the tiny bit of leftovers? Quickly scooped into a container for Adam's lunch. So, essentially NO leftovers.

I am big into making things from scratch (which I realize is why I normally take two hours to get dinner on the table) and was a little hesitant to make this recipe because of the ramen noodles. I just have a hard time using things that are so processed, but let me tell you, this dish is worth it. And I'm sure there are worse things to eat than ramen noodles. Plus these noodles are chock full of veggies. Which is another reason I love this dish.

Some things to note:
  • I use whatever kind of veggies I have on hand. Really it doesn't matter. And I always try to include the veggies my kiddo likes (which isn't hard, the only veggie Moira isn't into is zucchini). This particular time I included broccoli, zucchini, carrots, onion, garlic, peas, red bell pepper, and baby corn.
  • The cooking time, after you add in the veggies, will depend on the veggies you use and how you cut them. For example: Carrots can take longer to cook than most veggies. So, I slice them pretty thin (about 1/8") and everything else I cut down to about bite-size.
  • I use low-sodium soy sauce and beef broth. Because you use the little flavor packet that comes with the ramen noodles, which has ample amounts of salt, I cut it back everywhere else.
  • I break up the ramen noodles while they are still sealed in their package, so they don't go all over my kitchen.
  • We like our ramen noodles a little al dente, so I only cook them for 3-5 minutes. But if you like your noodles really soft, you should consider cooking them longer. So really, once the noodles are added and the broth begins to boil, keep an eye on the noodles and turn off the heat when they're reached the consistency you desire.
  • The amount of beef broth used will depend on how much liquid is in the skillet with the meat and veggies before the noodles are added. Some vegetables release more liquid than others during the cooking process.

Asian Beef and Veggie Ramen Skillet

2 lbs ground beef (I use lean)
4 cups assorted veggies, cut into bite-size pieces
2 Tbsp soy sauce, low-sodium
2 packages ramen noodles (I use the roast beef flavor)
1-1 1/2 cups beef broth, low-sodium
Sesame seeds or sliced green onions for garnish, optional

In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, brown ground beef. Once beef is browned, add in veggies. Cook for 5 minutes or until veggies just begin to get tender. Drizzle in soy sauce. Break both sealed packages of ramen noodles into quarters. Open ramen noodles and remove flavoring packets. Stir in contents of both flavoring packets to the beef and veggies. Add in ramen noodles and stir until the noodles are underneath the meat and veggies. Pour in 1 cup of beef broth and bring to a boil (add in remainder of beef broth if the noodles still need to cook and there is little or no liquid left in the skillet). Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the noodles have reached your desired consistency. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat and serve. Garnish with sesame seeds or sliced green onions if desired.

Source: Adapted from Taste and Tell.

Comments