Marinara Sauce

If you follow me on Instagram, you'll know that on Monday I celebrated the blog's first anniversary! Which is pretty exciting :) Now, I'm still trying to figure out Instagram, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. At first, I was just using the app to apply filters to some of photos (mostly of Moira). The ones where the lighting was too dark or too bright. And I definitely didn't understand the captioning and hash tagging, so the early photos on my Instagram feed don't say anything. Anyways, I'm trying to post a picture of some sort every day on Instagram. We shall see how that goes...

As for my continued progress to use less and less processed products in my meals, I'm making leaps and bounds! Yesterday I made homemade ricotta, which was amazing! And so easy. Definitely will be making it again and sharing with you all. I had actually made the ricotta as a component of a bigger recipe. And this marinara sauce too. It was a really great side dish using spaghetti squash, which is another recipe I want to share with you. But first I want to give you these delicious components. Soooooo, back to the marinara.

This sauce is perfect for tossing with noodles, adding in meatballs, using as a dipping sauce, or as a component of a bigger recipe. Pizza Dip anyone??

Marinara Sauce

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups tomatoes, diced (you can de-seed the tomatoes if you want, but I didn't)
30 oz tomato sauce
2/3 cup red wine (this gives the sauce a rich taste, you could substitute beef broth, but it won't have the same depth of flavor)
2-3 Tbsp pesto
1 Tbsp fresh herbs, chopped (any combination of oregano, rosemary, parsley) or 1 tsp dried
1/8-1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste

In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add in onions and cook for 3-4 minutes or until onions become translucent. Add in garlic and cook for two more minutes. Add in tomatoes and cook until any liquid has cooked off. Stir in tomato sauce, wine, pesto, herbs, and red pepper flakes.Cook for 5-10 minutes or until your desired consistency has been reached (Prego vs Ragu?). Season with salt and pepper.

Optional: I like my sauce to have the onion and tomato chunks in it, but if you prefer a chunkless sauce, using an immersion blender or regular blender, puree until the sauce has reached a smooth consistency.

Source: Elizabeth original

Comments