Thanksgiving Menu Planning

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. Probably because it revolves around food. And family. And love. And thankfulness. So far in my adult life there seems to be a pattern. I host turkey day gatherings every other year and my parents pick up the other years. Well, this year is my parent's turn to host, so that means I'm off the hook for the turkey, and the mashed potatoes and gravy, and side dishes in general. I've already established that I'll be taking a couple appetizers and a couple desserts. Staked my claim early.


Traditionally when my parents host, the turkey is grilled to perfection on a charcoal grill with some kind of Grand Marnier marinade/basting sauce. In fact, it may just be straight Grand Marnier, but it's my dad's domain, so I try not to get in the way. Then there's the basic mashed taters and gravy, a couple side dishes of seasonal veggies, mashed sweet potatoes, biscuits or rolls, and my mom's cranberry salad. I think she got the recipe from my grandmother, but it doesn't matter. What matters is that this is a salad that I can remember having at EVERY Thanksgiving.

We never had cranberry sauce of any kind, homemade or from a can. We never had sweet potato casserole or green bean casserole. And stuffing/dressing was never a hit when it did grace the table, so it only would show up periodically and always a different recipe. I think in hopes that us kids would someday take to it. Which never happened.

 So, anyways, between of may favorite cookbooks, my never ending Pinterest food boards, and some careful consideration, I've narrowed down my contribution to the following:

Appetizers:
Blue Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
Deviled Eggs
Garlic Toasts with Prosciutto and Fresh Mozzarella

Desserts:
Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie Cheesecake Bars

Comments