Oven Baked Pork Chops

Pigs and I, we don't get along so well. I'm not a huge fan of bacon, but it's something I'm coming to terms with. I despise ham. Pork roasts don't rank high on my list either. I'll eat pork ribs, but only if they're baby back. Pork tenderloins are okay, but only if they're not the pre-marinated kind. And I do enjoy sausage or two, as long as it hasn't been flavored with maple. Pork chops are a hard cut of meat for me to eat too. They're usually overcooked and/or rubbery served with tasteless gravy or fruit (like apple slices). And I'm not a huge fan of fruit with my main course either, which makes that a double whammy. I'll take my cooked apple slices in a pie or a crisp, but not with my meat.

My family, however, has a different view of pork than I do. They LOVE it. And although I tried for years to avoid it completely, I have been asked time and time again to diverge from the insane amount of chicken that we eat. Although, I've also been told that we could "eat grilled chicken every night of the week". No, definitely no mixed messages here at our house. Anyways, I gave in to the pleas and made pork chops. Two years ago. And I only made one recipe. Only one recipe because I fell in love with it. Yes, me and pork. In love. At least in this case.

Now, when I first made this recipe, I knew I didn't want bone-in chops and I didn't want thin chops either. Thin chops are the ones people usually serve overcooked and/or rubbery and I wanted to avoid that. I wanted nice, round, thick chops. Which NONE of the grocery stores in my area seem to carry. Sigh. So, I took a look at the pork roasts and determined that I could cut one up into the thick "chops" I was dreaming about. My choice roast was a pork loin roast, which as it turns out is basically the same thing, just cut differently. Anyways, I sliced up my roast into thick chops (which are actually called steaks because they're boneless, but I'm gonna call them chops). Breaded, fried, baked, bathed in sauce, and baked some more. The result? Tender, cut-with-your-fork pork chops. Served with rice or potatoes. It's enough to make you hesitate to say "No" to pork again.

Oven Bake Pork Chops

Chops:
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 boneless pork loin roast, approximately 1.75 lbs, cut into 1 1/2" thick chops (about 6 chops total, although I've ended up with 7 on occasion)
Salt and Pepper
1/4 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup bread crumbs
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Dash of cayenne pepper

Gravy:
1 tsp olive oil
1 cup mushrooms, chopped (white button or cremini mushrooms are great)
1/2 cup onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
3/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup white wine (or more broth)

For the chops:
Preheat oven to 350˚ F. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Season pork chops with salt and pepper. In a shallow dish, place flour. In second shallow dish, place eggs. In a third shallow dish, combine bread crumbs, panko, garlic powder, oregano, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Mix well. One by one, dredge the pork chops in flour. Then coat pork chops in egg and then cover them with bread crumbs. Place pork chops in skillet and fry until each side is golden brown, about 3-5 minutes per side. Remove pork chops from skillet and place in a 13x9 glass baking dish. Once all pork chops have been fried and placed in baking dish, cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. While pork chops are baking, prepare the gravy. After an hour, remove pork chops from oven and remove foil. Pour gravy over the top of the pork chops. Cover with foil and return to oven for 30 more minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice.

For the gravy:
In a saucepan, saute mushrooms, onion, and garlic in olive oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.. Remove mushrooms from pan. To the same saucepan, add butter. Melt over medium heat. Once butter has melted, add in flour and stir constantly until butter flour mixture has begun to brown, about 5 minutes. Whisk in milk and 3/4 cup broth. Allow to thicken over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Mix in white wine (or broth) and cooked mushrooms and onions. Pour over pork chops after they have baked for 1 hour.

Source: Adapted from Allrecipes

Comments

  1. I'm gonna make this for Myself and Lance-Russell and Micheal will get hotdogs- as they turn their noses up at "anything gravy" Looks beyond delicious--thanks for this recipe
    Your Aunti loves you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Aunti, you and Lance will just love this I'm sure!! As for the boys, well hotdogs can't compare. Although maybe their tastes will change. At this point in my life, I would definitely take real cheese over the processed stuff any day :)

      Delete

Post a Comment