Summer Orzo Salad

I'm still riding on the coattails of summer. And I can't wait for fall. I have a HUGE stack of delicious sounding soups I am excited to try. But not until it gets cooler here. So instead, I've been trying to keep mealtime light and simple. And I've also been trying to clean out our pantry a little bit.

Enter a half pound of uncooked orzo sitting in my pantry. And a gigantic bag of sun dried tomatoes hanging out in the fridge (because when Adam is sent shopping by himself, he is a "Go Big or Go Home" kind of a guy). So, when I saw this recipe for Spring Orzo Pasta Salad, and it had BOTH orzo and sun dried tomatoes, I knew it was a must. But I like to use produce seasonally if I can and I didn't want to wait until spring when the next wave of fresh asparagus came in.

So what does any gardener have an abundance of right now?? Zucchini. Well, most people who have gardens have a boatload of zucchini. Unfortunately for my mom, this was her only plant that didn't produce ANYTHING this year, which is unheard of. So, instead of getting my zucchini supply from her this year, I have to turn to other local resources. So, I subbed zucchini in for the asparagus, but this salad will definitely be gracing my table again come springtime. I served this alongside fresh pitas and Greek seasoned chicken, but it would be delicious if you wanted to make a one dish meal and toss in a couple cups of cooked, diced chicken.

Summer Orzo Salad

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium zucchini, quartered and sliced
1/4 cup red onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup sun dried tomatoes, not packed in oil , diced
1/2 lb orzo, cooked according to package directions
15 oz can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1/2 cup crumbled feta
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 lemon zested and juiced
Salt and pepper to taste

In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add in zucchini, onion, garlic, and sun dried tomatoes. Saute for 3-5 minutes or until onion is translucent. In a large bowl, combine cooked orzo, artichoke hearts, feta, and sauteed zucchini. In a small measuring cup, combine vinegar, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, and salt and pepper. Stir until thoroughly combined. Pour over orzo. Toss until dressing has been mixed throughout. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Source: Adapted from Food For My Family

Comments