Zesty Coleslaw

I wish I could take credit for this entire act of genius, but I can't. My youngest sister, Candice, who is also a phenom in the kitchen, came up with this recipe. And she makes it a bajillion times every summer. So often in fact, that by the end of the summer she wants nothing to do with anything that has cabbage in it. Unfortunately for her, this recipe is one of her most requested for potlucks and parties. And if you make it, you will see why immediately!!

Crunchy cabbage, sprinkled with crispy radishes, sweet bell pepper, citrus-y cilantro, and a tangy lime dressing. It goes great with grilled fare or sandwiches, picnics or potlucks, on top of pulled BBQ sandwiches or on fish tacos. Note: This is absolutely NOTHING like the bland stuff you typically find at restaurants or deli counters. Ever since consuming this coleslaw, it has become a benchmark that I always compare every coleslaw I eat to. This coleslaw has me spoiled and has tainted every other coleslaw for me. As well as for my entire family. So try it. Pronto. You won't be disappointed.

Zesty Coleslaw

6 cups green cabbage shredded (2 10oz bags of pre-shredded cabbage works too)
4 -6 green onions, chopped
1/3 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 cup radishes, quartered and sliced
1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 Tbsp dijon mustard
2-3 Tbsp sugar (I like my dressing a bit tangier, but add up to 3 Tbsp of sugar for a sweeter dressing)
1 lime, juiced and zested
1 tsp celery salt
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
Fresh ground black pepper to taste

In a large bowl, combine cabbage, green onions, cilantro, radishes, and bell pepper. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, dijon mustard, sugar, lime juice and zest, celery salt, vinegar, and black pepper. Whisk until completely mixed. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to cover completely. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Quickly toss to re-coat in dressing before serving.

Source: Elizabeth's sister

Comments