Cobb Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette

Salad is a frequent guest at our dinner table. Whether it's a side salad or the main dish, there's almost always leafy greens served with dinner. So, I'm always looking for new salad recipes to integrate into our dinner rotation. And up until a few days ago I had never had Cobb Salad before. Never. So when I saw the recipe for it, I knew we'd have to try it out for dinner.

Now, I have this thing for serving salads family style, spread out on a huge platter with the toppings on display. With the dressing on the side. There's nothing worse than overdressed salad. Well, when it comes to salad at least. Because I can tell you that when I was in the eighth grade we had an assembly at school. And some of the teachers dressed up like rockers or bikers or something within that genre. I don't even remember why. All I can remember is my humanities teacher (an unshapely, balding woman) wearing a black lacy bra on top of her shirt. That, is definitely worse that an overdressed salad. So, when possible, I like to serve the dressing on the side. Plus it allows someone who only likes Ranch or Italian dressing on their salad to have their way. But this vinaigrette is simple and flavorful. Lemony and tangy. So, if you aren't stuck in a dressing rut (or if you are and you want out), I definitely recommend this vinaigrette.

Cobb Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette

Salad:
7 cups lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
6 hard boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
12 cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1 cup black olives, halved or quartered
6 strips of bacon, cooked until crispy and crumbled
2 avocados, peeled and diced
1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese or blue cheese
1/4 cheddar or colby jack cheese, shredded

Dressing:
Juice and zest from one medium lemon
1 clove garlic, minced
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp honey
3 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

For the salad:
Either in a large bowl or platter, add lettuce. Top with remaining ingredients, either in rows (like I did) or tossed with the lettuce. Serve with dressing(s) of choice.

For the dressing:
In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, red wine vinegar, and honey. While still whisking, slowly pour in olive oil, whisking continuously. This will allow the oil to become fulling incorporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Source: Adapted from Babble Food

Comments