Classic Potato Salad

One of my absolute favorite things my mom makes is her potato salad. And since I live nearby and since there's nothing like having your mommy make you something you love (talk about comfort), I usually let her make her potato salad for me. I mean, we'll go over to my parent's house for dinner and if it's during the summer I request that she make her potato salad and after dinner I scoop up the remainder and run off with it. Basically. Only it's less Hamburglar-esque than it sounds.

I have tried to replicate this dish before. Twice actually. And of course it never quite came out right. So, I just assumed it needed love from my mom in order for it to be right. Well, unfortunately I can't live with that mind set forever, so I set upon making it again. And you know what?? I did it. The key is really white vinegar and pimento juice. Apparently I had omitted one (or maybe both) on either of my previous attempts.

So, this potato salad is basic. And because it is so basic, it is easily adaptable. Do you like more of a mustard potato salad? Add a bit more mustard. Don't like radishes, but love pickles? Go ahead, switch them out. Want to add crumbled bacon? Why not. I left the recipe as what my mom would make, but feel free to change things up a bit for you. Unless you're making this for me.

Classic Potato Salad

2 1/2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, medium-sized
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp yellow mustard
1 tsp white vinegar
2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
4 radishes, quartered and sliced
3 green onions, sliced
1 2 oz jar diced pimentos
Salt and pepper to taste
1-2 tsp paprika

Rinse all dirt off potatoes. In a large pot, place potatoes and cover with cold water (this will allow them to cook evenly). Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil for 15-20 minutes or until soft (a fork should be easily inserted into each potato). Remove from heat and drain. Allow potatoes to cool completely. Once potatoes are cooled, dice them into 1" cubes. The skin may come off easily, and you can choose to discard any loose pieces of skin if you wish or just toss them in with the potatoes. In a large bowl, place diced potatoes, mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, hard boiled egg, radishes, green onion, and diced pimentos (juice and all). Gently mix until evenly dressed. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with a sprinkling of paprika.

Source: Elizabeth's mom

Comments