Butterfinger Rice Krispie Treats


Not to long ago I made Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats. And I had some rice krispies leftover from that. I could have used them up in something healthy like homemade granola bars. Or crushed them slightly to use as a breaded coating for chicken. Or just left them for someone to eat for breakfast. But I couldn't. I had to use them to make something completely the opposite of healthy. Something bad. Sugary. Chocolately. Peanut buttery. With candy. Butterfinger Rice Krispie Treats.

I admit, I was a tad skeptical of these because I have never really been a fan of Butterfingers despite my love of everything peanut butter and chocolate. I could never really get over the fact that Butterfingers get stuck in my teeth. Which some people will argue is the best part because they can continue to enjoy them. I prefer the "Get in my belly" outlook on food-life. Not "Get in my teeth". Just doesn't have the ring to it. Right? Well, anyways, because the Butterfingers are chopped into little pieces, there was minimal teeth cling-age. So, I was able to thoroughly enjoy the chocolatey-peanut buttery goodness.

Butterfinger Rice Krispie Treats

1 Tbsp butter
30 large marshmallows or approximately 3 1/2 cups of the minis
1 Tbsp peanut butter
4 cups rice krispies
8-10 fun-size Butterfinger candy bars, chopped
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp shortening
4 fun-size Butterfinger candy bars, chopped

Grease a 8x8 baking dish. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add in marshmallows and stir constantly until marshmallows are completely melted. Add in peanut butter and stir until combined. Remove from heat and stir in rice krispies and 8-10 of the chopped Butterfingers until thoroughly coated in marshmallow. Scrape into greased 8x8. Using your hand, pat into an even layer. I find this is easiest to do if you let it cool slightly (just for a couple minutes. Let cool completely before removing from pan and cutting into squares.

Once the rice krispie treats have cooled and been cut, melt together the chocolate chips and shortening. In a double boiler, in a saucepan, or even in the microwave. Just make sure to keep the heat low and even to prevent burning the chocolate. Drizzle rice krispie treats with half of the melted chocolate. Sprinkle with the 4 chopped Butterfingers. Drizzle again with the remaining melted chocolate.

Source: Adapted from Recipe Girl and the Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats

Comments