Crockpot Beer Chicken

I just finished reading this book. It is the first adult book I've read in the last 7 months (uh, hello, I have a 7 month old!!). I should've felt satisfied. Accomplished even. I actually enjoyed the book quite a bit. Until the end. Utter disappointment. That's what I felt. Disappointment. I know of several other people who have really like this book, so I won't give a critique. All I can really say is "Ugh".

Fortunately the day, in which I finished said disappointing book, was not a total wash. There was Mexican (style, not traditional) chicken brewing away in the crockpot. The house smelled yummy and cozy. As in "wrap me up in a warm tortilla and eat me" cozy. Throw in some beans, cheese, and any other fave taco toppings for quite the meal, which is exactly what we did. Although, we could've just as easily enjoyed this chicken in enchiladas, hard shell tacos, southwest salad, and more. Which is really great because you could easily swing two meals out of this or have quite the lunch variety. Or you could whip this out while you're sleeping and use it for some of your Super Bowl Party fare like taquitos or nachos. Yummm!

So versatile. So easy. So good.





Crockpot Beer Chicken

4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3/4 cup beer (I recommend anything lighter in color, like a pale or amber ale)
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
Dash of cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp tomato paste

In the crockpot, mix together beer, chili powder, cumin, garlic, onion, paprika, cayenne, salt, pepper, and tomato paste. Slide chicken into the liquid nice and slow. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4 hours.

After cooking there may seem to be quite a bit of liquid left. That's OK. Go ahead and shred the chicken, however your preferred method may be; with tongs, two forks, your fingers (Careful. It will be HOT!). Turn the crockpot to high and let cook for another 15 minutes or so uncovered to reduce the liquid. Turn the crockpot completely off. Serve up with your fave taco/burrito fixings, use as a filing for another dish, or serve atop a big pile of tortilla chips and cheese!

Source: Adapted from How Sweet It Is

Comments